TMJ disorder is actually a group of disorders that affect the temporomandibular joint (TMJ). This joint connects the skull and the lower jaw. Those who suffer from TMJ disorders often experience pain or discomfort with the jaw, earaches, and migraines.
TMJ disorders can be caused by many things, including, but not limited to:
- Trauma to the jaw or TMJ
- Issues with the bite
- Disease or illness
- Grinding or clenching of the teeth and/or jaw
- Poor posture
In addition, TMJ disorders can have many symptoms, some seemingly unrelated. These include:
- Soreness or pain in the jaw
- A misaligned bite
- Recent bite changes
- Popping or clicking noises when you open or close the mouth
- Problems opening and closing the mouth
- Jaw pain or a stiff jaw when biting, yawning or speaking
- Trouble or pain when chewing
- An earache or toothache not caused by infection or other dental issues
- Recurring migraines or tension headaches
TMJ disorders can be treated in many ways, depending on your individual symptoms and circumstances. If you are suffering from a TMJ disorder and are looking for an effective treatment, please call our Wyckoff, NJ dental practice soon to schedule your TMJ treatment consultation with our general dentist. We will be happy to help you discover how best to treat your TMJ disorder and get you on the road to optimal oral health.
Please read this fact sheet to learn more about Temporomandibular Joint Disorder.